Road project life cycle for information modeling
- A.V. Skvortsov, Dr.Sc., Professor, professor of TSU (Tomsk, Russia), chief executive officer (CEO) of IndorSoft LLC (Tomsk, Russia)
- D.S. Sarychev, Ph.D., chief innovation officer (CINO) of IndorSoft LLC (Tomsk, Russia)
The article discusses the road life cycle within the context of information modeling. It proposes
to consider the life cycle not as a sequential life stages of whole road, but as a complex of the
projects life cycles (road activities), which occur simultaneous. This allows to formulate more
clear requirements to the information models used on the road at different stages of the projects
life cycle, in particular, to resolve the problem of heterogeneity of CAD and GIS data models used
on the road simultaneously.
The article offers a new classification of the road projects life cycle stages, which is adapted
to the goals and tasks of BIM: 0) strategic planning, 1) land-use planning, 2) land planning,
3) engineering design, 4) detailed design, 5) site preparation, 6) construction
7) work acceptance and commissioning, 8) acceptance or derecognition.
It also offers a classification and terminology of the data model detailing levels for roads
information modeling: 1) land-use planning model, 2) land planning model, 3) engineering model,
4) working model, 5) production model, 6) executive model, 7) production model.
author = "Skvortsov, A.V. and Sarychev, D.S.",
title = "Road project life cycle for information modeling",
journal = "CAD & GIS for roads",
year = "2015",
number = "1(4)",
pages = "4--14",
language = russian
BIM, building information modelling, information modelling, road information modelling,
CAD, computer-aided design, computer-aided road design, road design, highway engineering,
GIS, geographic information system, GIS for road and highway management,
technical regulations, roads, highways, road infrastructure
LOD, level of development
- National Building Information Modeling Standard. Version 1. Part 1: Overview, Principles, and Methodology. National Institute of building sciences, 2007. 183 p.
- PAS 1192-2:2013. Specification for information management for the capital/delivery phase of construction projects using building information modelling. BSI Standards, 2013. 68 p.
- PAS 1192-3:2014, incorporating corrigendum No. 1. Specification for information management for the operational phase of assets using building information modelling. BSI Standards, 2013. 44 p.
- Skvortsov A.V. BIM avtomobilnykh dorog: otsenka zrelosti tekhnologii [BIM for roads: estimation of the technology maturity] // SAPR i GIS avtomobilnykh dorog — CAD & GIS for roads. 2014. No.2(3). P. 12-21. DOI: 10.17273/CADGIS.2014.2.3 (in Russian)
- Skvortsov A.V. BIM dlya dorozhnoy otrasli: chto-to novoye ili my etim uzhe zanimayemsya? [BIM for the road industry: anything new or are we already dealing with it?] // SAPR i GIS avtomobilnykh dorog — CAD & GIS for roads. 2014. No.1(2). P. 8-11. DOI: 10.17273/CADGIS.2014.1.2 (in Russian)
- Skvortsov A.V. Normativno-tekhnicheskoye obespecheniye BIM avtomobilnykh dorog [Regulatory and technical support of BIM for roads] // SAPR i GIS avtomobilnykh dorog — CAD & GIS for roads. 2014. No.2(3). P. 22-32. DOI: 10.17273/CADGIS.2014.2.4 (in Russian)
- Skvortsov A.V. Standarty dlya obmena dannymi [Standards for data exchange] // Avtomobilnyye dorogi — Roads. 2015. No. 2. P. 84-89. (in Russian)
- E203-2013 Building Information Modeling and Digital Data Exhibit. The American Institute of Architects, 2013. 7 p.
- Level of Development Specification. Version: 2013. BIMForum, 2013. 125 p.
- Skvortsov A.V., Pospelov P.I., Boykov V.N., Krysin S.P. Geoinformatsionnyye sistemy v dorozhnom khozyaystve: Spravochnaya entsiklopediya dorozhnika (SED). T. VI. [Geographic information systems in the road industry: Roadman encyclopedia. Vol.6.] Moscow, Informautodor, 2006. 372 p. (in Russian)
- Skvortsov A.V., Pospelov P.I., Kotov A.A. Geoinformatika v dorozhnoy otrasli [Geoinformatics in the road industry]. Moscow, 2005. 250 p. (in Russian)
- Gradostroitelnyy kodeks RF ot 29.12.2004, Federalnyy zakon № 190-FZ. [Russian federal law 190-FZ. Town-planning codex] (in Russian)
- GOST R 21.1101-2009. Sistema proyektnoy dokumentatsii dlya stroitelstva. Osnovnyye trebovaniya k proyektnoy i rabochey dokumentatsii [Russian standard. System of design documents for construction. Main requirements for design and working documents]. Moscow, 2013. 56 p. (in Russian)
- SP 34.13330.2012. Avtomobilnyye dorogi. Aktualizirovannaya redaktsiya SNiP 2.05.02-85* [Roads. The updated edition of SNiP 2.05.02-85*]. Moscow, 2013. 108 p. (in Russian)